The Raspberry PI has changed the trajectory of embedded electronics. It has enabled thousands of new applications by providing a low cost embedded platform that is extremely well-supported by a large community of developers. It has helped fuel the explosion of IoT devices which benefits all embedded electronics manufacturers. The RPI foundation continues to innovate by:
- Introducing new products (including a System on Module)
- Improving the performance with updated CPUs
- Adding a longevity program for certain product variants
- Increasing the number of distributors
Despite all of these benefits, in this video, we discuss 3 reasons NOT to use a Raspberry PI in your commercial product. These come from our experience in designing out the RPi for other customers.
- Availability – Raspberry PI is essentially a single sourced product. What happens if you have a spike in your requirements? You won’t be able to fulfill your orders. What happens if RPI foundation discontinutes the product?
- Software Support – Who provides support? How much does that cost?
- High System Level cost. Although RPI is low cost by itself, when you add in all of the required daughter boards needed for a typical IoT project, the system level cost is typically much higher than a purpose-built board.
Please contact us for more information.